Since my family has been begging me to bring them whoopie pies, I decided that our annual Christmas Eve party would be the perfect time to acquiesce their request. But I had to find a way to give these treats a holiday twist, enter red velvet whoopie pies.
I used this recipe to make my holiday whoopie pies.
Red Velvet Whoopie Pies
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 cup flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa (not Dutch process)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup canola oil
- 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons red food coloring
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place parchment paper on your cookie sheets. If you have difficulty keeping the parchment paper in place, spray the pan with cooking spray and then place the parchment paper down.
2. If you don’t have buttermilk on hand, you can make buttermilk from milk and vinegar. Place 1/2 Tablespoon of vinegar in the bottom of a 1/2 cup measuring cup. Fill up the rest of the measuring cup with milk and allow the mixture to sit.
3. Add flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt to a bowl.
10. Place in oven and bake for 8 minutes. Let cookie cool on the cookie sheet 10 minutes. Then remove cookies and place them on a cooling rack to completely cool.